Baltic Languages | Latvian and Lithuanian
The Baltic languages belong to the Balto-Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family. Baltic languages are spoken by the Balts, mainly in areas extending east and southeast of the Baltic Sea in Northern Europe.
Archaeological data show that a large part of north-eastern Europe, approximately from Moscow to Berlin, was Baltic-speaking territory during the 1st millennia B.C. and A.D. Slavs entered this area later. This territory was covered by near-impenetrable forests and was far from the major migration and more important trade routes. These factors facilitated the preservation of an extremely archaic Baltic language family.
Baltic languages are among the oldest of the currently remaining Indo-European languages, despite their late authentication.
Onomastic evidence shows that Baltic languages were once spoken in much wider territory than the one they cover today, all the way to Moscow, and were later replaced by Slavic.
One reason for the late attestation is that the Baltic peoples resisted Christianization longer than any other Europeans, which delayed the introduction of writing and isolated their languages from outside influence.
Indo-European Language Tree
Speakers of modern Baltic languages are generally concentrated within the borders of Lithuania and Latvia, and in emigrant communities in the United States, Canada, Australia and the countries within the former borders of the Soviet Union.
The Baltic languages are of particular interest to linguists because they retain many archaic features, which are believed to have been present in the early stages of the Proto-Indo-European language. However, linguists have had a hard time establishing the precise relationship of the Baltic languages to other languages in the Indo-European family. Several of the extinct Baltic languages have a limited or nonexistent written record, their existence being known only from the records of ancient historians and personal or place names.
Baltic Media® Translation Agency in the Nordics
The Baltic Media® Nordic-Baltic Translation agency is a leading provider of digital translation services in Northern Europe specialising in Northern European (incl. Nordic, Baltic, Slavic) languages mostly in translation services from/into Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Icelandic, Faroese, Norwegian, German, English, Polish, Russian, Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian.
As an ISO certified language service provider, the Baltic Media® translation agency offers human translation services for corporate, governmental and private clients.
Professional and Certified Baltic Translators
In accordance with the quality policy of Baltic Media®, translation into the language required by the client is carried out by a Baltic translator who is a NATIVE speaker of Baltic and/or who resides in the Baltics.
We employ only professional Baltic translation specialists with a college/university degree in linguistics and/or with experience in Baltic translation work with/without specialisation in a specific field.
We have implemented and we work in accordance with the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System; thus, we have improved the Baltic translation project coordination and Baltic translator selection procedure. Baltic Media® has its own Baltic translator testing system. Criteria: linguistic education, at least 5 years of experience in Baltic translation, references from other clients and a Baltic test translation.
Baltic Translation Services by Native Baltic Translators
- Each Baltic translation goes through three stages: translation, editing and proof-reading.
- Baltic translators work with such translation programs as SDL Trados Studio and Memsource, which ensure consistent terminology.
- Data security, storage and confidentiality are our responsibilities. Finished Baltic translations are stored on our servers. If you ever lose your Baltic translation, we will find it in our electronic archives.
- Educated, competent and service-oriented Baltic translation project managers who constantly improve their qualifications in Baltic project management.
- Civil liability insurance against any possible Baltic translation mistakes — the insurance company will compensate the loss caused to the client. While no such case has ever occurred in the history of the Baltic Media® operation, the insurance serves as an additional guarantee for the client.
- We work globally and have 30 years of international work experience, as our customers and Baltic translators are located on every continent.
- Additional services include layout design for Baltic translations and pre-print preparation. When submitting the copy for Baltic translation to us, you may choose to receive the layout ready to print. We offer a layout design service (DTP — Desktop Publishing).
Baltic Translation Fields
Legal Baltic translations, machinery and technologies, business, finance, medical Baltic translation services, advertising, communications, PR translation services, transport, computer hardware and software, science, agriculture, automotive, European Union documents, legal, government, industrial, life science, retail, Baltic technical translations.
Confidential Baltic Translations
We enter into agreements with all of our clients, with particular commitment to the quality of the work, the terms of delivery and to confidentiality.
Terms of Delivery
The services we offer are adaptable to our clients’ requirements. One of the most essential requirements is prompt service. It is also possible to contact us outside working hours. Quality and promptness — these are two of the main reasons we have gained our clients’ trust.
Baltic Translation Services
Other than operating with the most commonly used text processing software, for instance, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Apple Pages, desktop publishing (DTP) software Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress, we also use special translation software such as SDL Trados Studio, Memsource and Wordfast, thus forming clients’ terminology databases.
In addition, we offer text conversion from/to PC and Mac platforms and preparation of PDF and printing proofs.
Our specialists are also experienced in Baltic web site and software localisation and translation of subtitles, voice-overs, dubbing of TV programmes, movie trailers, video games, radio programmes and commercials into Baltic languages.