Baltic Languages: Latvian and Lithuanian
The Baltic languages belong to the Balto-Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family. Baltic languages are spoken by the Balts, mainly in areas extending east and southeast of the Baltic Sea in Northern Europe.
Archaeological data show that a large part of north-eastern Europe, approximately from Moscow to Berlin, was Baltic-speaking territory during the 1st millennia B.C. and A.D. Slavs entered this area later. This territory was covered by near-impenetrable forests and was far from the major migration and more important trade routes. These factors facilitated the preservation of an extremely archaic Baltic language family.
Baltic languages are among the oldest of the currently remaining Indo-European languages, despite their late authentication.
One reason for the late attestation is that the Baltic peoples resisted Christianization longer than any other Europeans, which delayed the introduction of writing and isolated their languages from outside influence.
Indo-European Language Tree
Speakers of modern Baltic languages are generally concentrated within the borders of Lithuania and Latvia, and in emigrant communities in the United States, Canada, Australia and the countries within the former borders of the Soviet Union.
The Baltic languages are of particular interest to linguists because they retain many archaic features, which are believed to have been present in the early stages of the Proto-Indo-European language. However, linguists have had a hard time establishing the precise relationship of the Baltic languages to other languages in the Indo-European family. Several of the extinct Baltic languages have a limited or nonexistent written record, their existence being known only from the records of ancient historians and personal or place names.
Nordic-Baltic Translation agency Baltic Media is a leading provider of digital translation services in Northern Europe specializing in Northern European (incl. Nordic (Scandinavian), Baltic, Slavic, West Germanic) languages mostly in translation services from/into
As an ISO certified Scandinavian-Baltic language service provider, translation agency Baltic Media offers human translation services for corporate, public and individual clients.
Professional Baltic Translators
Baltic Translation Services Nordic-Baltic Translation Agency Baltic Media
- Each Baltic translation goes through three stages: translation, editing and proof-reading.
- Baltic translators work with translation programs Trados Translator’s Workbench and Trados MultiTermwhich ensure consistent terminology.
- Data safety, storage and confidentiality are our responsibilities. Server storage for finished Baltic translations. If you lose your Latvian or Lithuanian translation, we will find it in our electronic archives.
- Educated, competent and service oriented Baltic project managers who constantly improve their qualifications in Baltic project management.
- Insurance of civil liability against possible Baltic translation mistakes — insurance company will compensate the loss caused to the client. Such cases cannot be found during of the Baltic Media operation history. However, it serves as an additional guarantee for the client.
- We work globally and have 28 years of international work experience since we have our customers and Baltic translators in all continents.
- Additional services: layout design for Baltic translations, print original preparation. When handing in the copy for translation, you may choose to receive the layout ready to print. Layout design service (DTP — Desktop Publishing).
Baltic Translation areas
Terms of delivery
Baltic Language Services
Our specialists are also experienced in Baltic web site and software localizationand translation of subtitles,voice over, dubbing of TV programs, movie trailers, video games, radio programs, commercials into Baltic lnguages.