Scandinavian | North Germanic | Nordic Languages
The North Germanic languages compose one of the three branches of the Germanic languages, a sub-family of the Indo-European languages, along with the West Germanic languages and the extinct East Germanic languages. The North Germanic languages are sometimes specified as the "Nordic languages” (Danish, Swedish, Norwegian).
In Scandinavia, the term "Scandinavian languages" refers to the languages of the three continental Scandinavian countries as a subgroup of the Nordic languages, leaving aside the insular subgroup of Faroese and Icelandic.
Approximately 20 million people in the Nordic countries speak a Scandinavian language as their native language including an approximately 5% minority in Finland. Languages belonging to the North Germanic language tree are also spoken on Greenland and, by immigrants in North America
One of the mainstays of Nordic co-operation is the ability to understand each other’s language. Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are so closely related that if you speak one of them, relatively little effort is required to understand the others.
Indo-European Language Tree
In total, 46% of the world's population (3.2 billion) speaks an Indo-European language as a first language, by far the highest of any language family.
Germanic languages, branch of the Indo-European language family. Scholars often divide the Germanic languages into three groups: West Germanic, including English, German, and Netherlandic (Dutch); North Germanic, including Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Faroese; and East Germanic, now extinct, comprising only Gothic and the languages of the Vandals, Burgundians, and a few other tribes.
Nordic Translation Services
Nordic-Baltic Translation agency Baltic Media is a leading provider of digital translation services in Northern Europe specializing in Northern European (incl. Nordic, Baltic, Slavic) languages mostly in translation services from/into Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian, German, English, Polish, Russian, Latvian, Lithuanian and Estonian.
As an ISO certified language service provider, translation agency Baltic Media offers human translation services for corporate, public and individual clients.
Scandinavian / Nordic Translation and Agency with Professional Nordic Translators
More than 200 Scandinavian language specialists are listed on our databases. In accordance with the quality policy of “Baltic Media” translation into the language required by the Client is carried out by a Scandinavian translator who is a NATIVE speaker of Scandinavian language and/or who resides in Scandinavia.
We employ only professional Scandinavian translators with a college/university degree in linguistics and/or with experience in Scandinavian translation work with/without specialisation in a specific field.
We have introduced and we work in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System thus we have improved the Scandinavian translation project coordination and Scandinavian translator selection procedure. Baltic Media has its own Scandinavian translator testing system. Criteria: linguistic education, at least 5 years of experience in Swedish; Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic translation, references from other clients, Scandinavian test translation.
A great number of our Scandinavian translators are certified Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Icelandic, Danish translators. This qualification is essential for Scandinavian translations certified by a notary as well as for interpretation in Court trials.
- Each Scandinavian translation goes through three stages: translation, editing and proof-reading.
- Scandinavian translators work with translation programs Trados Translator’s Workbench and Trados MultiTerm which ensure consistent terminology.
- Data safety, storage and confidentiality are our responsibilities. Server storage for finished Scandinavian translations. If you lose your Scandinavian translation, we will find it in our electronic archives.
- Educated, competent and service oriented Scandinavian translation project managers who constantly improve their qualifications in Scandinavian project management.
- Insurance of civil liability against possible Scandinavian translation mistakes — insurance company will compensate the loss caused to the client. Such cases cannot be found during of the Baltic Media operation history. However, it serves as an additional guarantee for the client.
- We work globally and have 24 years of international work experience since we have our customers and Nordic translators in all continents.
- Additional services: layout design for Scandinavian translations, preprint preparation. When handing in the copy for Scandinavian translation, you may choose to receive the layout ready to print. Layout design service (DTP — Desktop Publishing).
Scandinavian Translation areas
Confidentiality | Nordic Translation Agency
Terms of delivery | Nordic Translation Agency
Our most commonly used Scandinavian translations
Scandinavian Language Services
Our specialists are also experienced in Swedish web site and software localization and translation of subtitles,voice over, dubbing of TV programs, movie trailers, video games, radio programs, commercials into Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic.